December 7 – 10, 2022
Travel Grants for 4S/ESOCITE 2022
4S administers travel funds to support the participation of students and other low-income scholars in its annual meetings. Funding for 2022 comes from the additional revenue generated from sustaining members and is used to support meeting participation by both students and other low-income scholars. Currently, 4S is applying to the National Science Foundation for further support for funding in 2023.
Awards are available for travel expenses only, not for food or lodging. However, applicants who receive grants will also receive complimentary conference registration. The amount of each award will be determined once all applications have been received. In previous years, individual awards were in the range of $150-400, but can be up to $1000 in some circumstances, subject to the total amount of 4S travel funds available.
Note that the limited funds available do not allow us to award travel grants to all applicants. The funding decision will be based on the following criteria:
- Quality: Is the abstract of appropriate quality for presentation at 4S?
- Conference participation beyond paper presentation: Are you organizing a panel or additional meeting, volunteering for additional work, etc.?
- Relevance: If a graduate student, is the student enrolled in a graduate program? Is 4S the right place for this paper?
- Completeness: Is the application complete?
- Availability of alternative funds: Does your home institution provide travel funds, etc.?
- Prior travel grants received: Did you receive 4S funding in the previous year?
- Diversity: 4s is committed to inclusion and participation of under-represented groups and seeks each year to provide funding to these students.
Applications open after acceptance notices are sent.
To qualify for a travel award, an applicant must be a student or other low-income scholar presenting a paper at the 4S Annual Meeting and a member of 4S. In cases of co-authorship, no more than one award will be granted for each paper presented.
Applicants can expect to hear the outcome in time to make the early registration deadline. If announcements run late, we will extend the early registration deadline for applicants upon request.
Reimbursements are distributed after the meeting. Save your receipts to submit via the reimbursement form.
For more information, please contact Dr. Amanda Windle. In the subject line, put “4S Travel Grant Application: [name].”
Link for application: https://www.4sonline.org/financial-support-application/