June 20-July 1, 2022. Online event
July 18-29, 2022. New York
The 15th CIFAS Summer School will be offered in two options: one in an online format at the end of June and another returning to its face-to-face modality, in New York City, in July (provided sanitary conditions allow).
The Comitas Institute for Anthropological Study (CIFAS) is pleased to announce the 15th CIFAS Field School in Ethnographic Research Methods.
The goal of the Field School is to offer training in the foundations and practice of ethnographic methods. The faculty works closely with participants to identify the required field methods needed to address their academic or professional needs. The Field School is suitable for graduate and undergraduate students in social sciences and other fields of study that use qualitative approaches (such as education, communication, cultural studies, health, social work, human ecology, development studies, consumer behavior, among others), applied social scientists, professionals, and researchers who have an interest in learning more about ethnographic methods and their applications.
- Foundations of ethnographic research
- Theory and practice: social theories in the field
- Research design
- Data collection techniques
- Planning the logistics of field research
- Digital ethnography
- Ethnography in interface with Social Network Analysis and other trends in the field of the digital humanities
- Ethnography in specific fields of activity (applied social sciences, health, social service, environmental studies, public policy design, business, and others)
- Principles of organization and indexation of field data
- Analyzing field data; qualitative analysis software packages: basic principles
Coordinator: Renzo Taddei (Ph.D., Columbia University, 2005) – see bio.
The total workload of the course is 30 hours. In this edition of the summer school, the option of earning credits is not available.
Registration and other costs:
Places are limited. The tuition fee is US$ 1,200.
Comitas Field School Fellowship: a limited amount of fellowships are available to students from underrepresented minorities and low-income countries. See information on how to apply at the end of the application form.
The application should be completed online here.
For more information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.