Deasline: September 1, 2021
The Society for the Social Studies of Science (4S) seeks a 50% time Managing Editor for its journal Science, Technology, and Human Values, beginning immediately upon approval by the Publications committee of the 4S.
The Society for Social Studies of Science (4S) is an international, nonprofit association founded in 1975 that fosters interdisciplinary and engaged scholarship in social studies of science, technology, and medicine (a field often referred to as STS). Comprising researchers and practitioners, the field of STS includes Science and Technology Studies; Science, Technology, and Society; and comparable domains of research, teaching, and practice in many languages.
Science, Technology and Human Values (STHV) is a double-blind peer-reviewed, bi-monthly, international, interdisciplinary journal that publishes cutting edge research in science and technology studies (STS). STHV is published by SAGE, which owns the title.
SAGE is a global academic publisher of books, journals, and a growing suite of library products and services.
We seek a qualified, experienced person with knowledge and understanding of the academic field of STS, excellent communication and organizational skills, and experience in dealing with multiple aspects of the academic publishing process. Job duties include, but are not limited to, the following.
- The Managing Editor will support the incomining editor(s) by facilitating the peer review process and editorial workflow from submission of manuscripts to final publication. The ME will be primarily responsible for using the online submission system, and for communicating with SAGE throughout the process.
- The ME will assist the Editor(s) and work with SAGE in the preparation of manuscripts for publication.
- The ME will work with the Editor(s) to establish a viable working relationship, communication structure, clear understanding of responsibilities, and to help facilitate timely communication with authors, peer reviewers, editorial board, and editors.
- The ME will monitor the peer review process for objections related to propriety or conflict of interest issues, and will investigate and/or report to SAGE and/or the Editor(s).
- Will keep information about the journal up to date, and report as necessary to the Editor(s), the 4S Publication Committee, or SAGE.
- Will, in coordination with Editor and representatives from SAGE, prepare and annual report for the 4S Publications Committee and Council, and will meet with 4S publication committee once per year.
- Acting as main point of contact for SAGE Production Editor, liaising with regards to such matters as length of issues and space available for manuscripts.
- ME will assist with the proofreading and copyediting of final manuscripts, but final authority for the process will rest with the Editor(s) of the journal.
Salary and Benefits will be provided by the 4S, and will be commensurate with experience. It is expected that the ME will work remotely with the Editor(s). The 4S is a transnational organization, this may include Editor(s) from around the globe. Nonetheless, the position will be compensated in US Dollars, and will be subject to US state, local and federal Law. The starting length of the position is for three years, with subsequent renewals subject to review by the 4S.
4S is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable US federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. 4S strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment. 4S complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law.
To apply, please include a CV or resume, a cover-letter expressing your suitability for the position, and contact information.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning September 1, 2021, until the position is filled.